Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Painting Lord of the Rings - Urik Hai

 Hey mates! 

I had a opportunity to play a old/new game. The Lord of the Rings gamesworkshop table top game.






Got to play three games total, in our local group we have a huge Warhammer 40k group, a small Flame of war group and now a group getting together to play Lotr. I originally wasn't that interested in playing cause who needs another tabletop game right!? Thankfully one of the guys that got me into warhammer 40k is heading up Lotr, so he has every army and is letting people test out the game. 


We did some small skirmish games to teach me the rules. Pretty simple game to learn, especially if you already know  how to play Warhammer 40k or Flame cause both those games are way more complex. 

Once I picked up on how to play I started playing matches, have been playing Isengard this whole time and am sitting on a three game win streak. Now lets get to the painting part of this, cause after my first game and a bunch of skirmishes I pretty much got hooked to this game. 


I picked up a 10 man set of models, am normally very annoyed with snap together models. I like to customize and pick and choose the bits I use etc..However for this game I am not looking to get so deep into the hobby side am in this pretty much for the Game play enjoyment. 

I first started by removing any of the sprue contact points that where not need to keep the model secure. I also removed any lingering sprue parts that where just hanging around not attached to anything. 

I then used a sharp hobby knife and cleaned up the model lines, due to the speed of this project i have very few pictures. All the models where cleaned still while on sprue.

Using my airbrush I primed the black, using korne red I sprayed all the parts where skin would show. Once dry I used Vallejo metal magnesium color to get the armor plating. 

I then removed the model from the sprue and attached them to the bases.  


Using a fine detail brush I cleaned up any over spray, thankfully I had pretty good airbrush control so this step was very fast. 

I applied Mornfang brown on to any leather bits on the model. I also used abandon black on the urik hai hair. I applied some Plate metal to the chainlinks of the chainmail. 

Using necron compound I dry brushed the solid armor parts of the model to give a edge highlight and worn look. 



I applied Soft tone wash to the red skin of the model, also some earth shade to the chain mail. 


I used a Stirland Mud a texture paint to do the basing, my original plan was to just use the texture paint to base my miniatures since am just going for simple 8 color tabletop quality. 



However, I was not able to just stop at that for the bases and ended up doing some more colors on the model. 




I ended up also applying some weathering powders around the feet and Blood for the blood God on the weapons/armor to give my Urik Hai a bloodlust orc horde army feel. 

Managed to find two more ten man kits unopened on Ebay for dirt cheap. I made a even cheaper offer that was accepted.. Pretty mush got a buy 1 get 1 free deal. $15.00 bucks cant complain at that price. So will be painting another 20 once they arrive. 

Thankfully the game point limit for our group right now is 160, 250, 350, 500 and then 700. Least for this escalation league it will be in that point range for a while. These ten guys are 100 points and another 60pts gives you a captain creating a small warband to play skirmish matches. 

Hopefully will have some more stuff to share with this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment