Thursday, June 23, 2016

Commission: Logan Grimnar - WIP

Fayte here!

I am working on a commission job for my father, actually. He wanted a display model of his choice painted up to the best I have. Seems to be an every other year desire of his! But, he chose Logan Grimnar, and what a challenging model to paint! Wow!
This model is extremely detailed. I was shocked at how solid it is. In trying to figure out where to tackle first, I figured my best bet was to get the armor out of the way. I wanted to do a rust chipping method with some Vallejo Chipping Medium, so I primed and put down some Vallejo Burnt Umber down with some Armor Brown as a highlight.
That ruddy brown makes for a great undercoat to show through for chipping and scuffs. Following a gloss seal, I moved on to airbrushing the chipping medium. Make sure if you do this, you let the varnish have PLENTY of time to dry before applying the chipping medium. Then, let the chipping medium have a LOT of time to dry as well. Now, on to the armor main color and highlight.

Base: German Grey (2), Dark Sea Blue (2), Black (1)
Highlight: German Grey (2), Dark Sea Blue (4)

With these colors down, it's time for the magic to happen! Similar to the hairspray method for chipping, the chipping medium does the same. However, it can remain on a model until varnished without breaking down. Using some water to moisten the underlying chipping medium and then use a stiff brush to "chip" the above paint.
The results are really good. I love how they are turning out and with a more natural feeling than sponging the browns on. 

Hopefully more will come soon on these!




No comments:

Post a Comment