Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Eldar Jetbikes (and Fire Prism) Done!

Fayte here!

I took on a fairly crazy project (well, one with kids and a job) to paint two Farseers, nine jetbikes, and one Fire Prism (and touch up another one).

It was a pretty crazy project to say the least. I spent the better part of my free time over three weeks to get it all done, and I can say that I got 99% of it done! Go me!

More after the jump.


Really, it was just a process to get them done. I first worked on clipping them from the sprue and cleaning the mould lines, flashes and other bitz. It was pretty straight forward to get done. I filled in gaps with the plastic putty I have and works really well for that purpose. 
Cleaned, filled, and ready for priming!

Primed
Using some of my airbrush black primer, I hit everything with that. The bikes were modeled after my fliers, in which the bone was the primary color rather than the dark teal. Playing with that and some oil wash, I was really able to pull out the color I wanted. 

Jetbikes
I built up the bone from a khaki, then light brown, then sand. I added some shadow by adding back in the light brown using an airbrush and a very light coating of sand again. In the future, I might skip the second sand, as it really didn't let the brown shine. After a quick sealing with a satin varnish, I hit them all with a dark brown oil wash and let it sit for about five minutes. 
After the five minute mark, I wiped the surfaces with a cloth to take most of the wash away. It gives the surface more of a polished bone look.
The decals were put on with a bit of gloss varnish then applying the decal with some vinegar and Micro Sol.


Fire Prism
The Fire Prism was built up from black with a grey underlayer for highlights. Then, doing a layer of the dark teal, then a layer of Sunny Skin Tone, then another layer of dark teal. This builds up the effect and really lets some highlights show without building them after the fact. It gives a more natural feel.


The edging and pulse effects were added after with some quick brush work and quick airbrush pulses! The decals were the same method as above.


Finished Result
I am really pleased with the results here. Other than the bases (which need some work for the bikes to stick on) the models really shine well! I am very pleased that they were able to make it from sprue to tabletop in less than a month. Goals make it much easier for me to say I need to get something done and get it done. The 1% that needs to be completed is the Farseers could use some cleaning up on the shoulder pads and faces. Thankfully, they are fully magnetized for arms and heads!




Leave comments below! I'm happy to hear what you have to say. Also, other than a couple commission pieces, I have to choose my next project.
Death Masque....
...or Celestant-Prime



No comments:

Post a Comment