Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Warhammer 40k Painting - Logan Grimnar Commission WIP

Hey all!

Fayte here. It's been a while since I've posted. Between vacations, holidays and life there's hardly a time to blog let alone paint! But I've made some good progress on the Logan Grimnar model as a commission piece.
More after the jump...



Following the last post about it, I began doing detail work on the bitz and parts. Mostly focusing on the barge he's riding. I'm wanting to pull against that blue grey color and have some warm colors to play with.
Santa's Sled: Part 1

I wanted those warm colors to pull against the cool colors of both the armor and the environment. Give the eye something appealing to look at. I started with a mahogany color and worked up, blending more and more colors up. The ruddy brown into a more rich red was an interesting experience. Eventually I added in a thin wash to pull the colors together and give a richness to it.


After adding the gold, the red really shined with it! The celtic knots and filagree over the model lends itself nicely to this and I really enjoyed painting them this way. Again, I didn't want to have this super bright gold color, so I toned it down with some Strong Tone ink from Army Builder. I didn't let it pool like a wash, but it acted as a nice filter to tone it back and give some richness. (Sense a theme?)


The platform that Logan stands on I really wanted to give a different feeling to. Marble was one thing that stuck out in my mind, and again, with warm tones, I wanted it to pop out against the cold armor, This was interesting because I had never tried to do marble before! With such an organic feeling rock it can feel too calculating to paint it, and the area was too small to sponge. Besides, it didn't really suit what I was going for.


In the end, I went for a technique that takes three different tones of brown and a ink and muddles them together as they are still wet. This gave natural lines and veins to follow, which I darkened with additional glazes of brown or ink. It took very little time to initially get it down, but the veins took a while to get just where I wanted them.

And My AXE!

The axe I wanted to give a focal point on the model with a bright orange. It pairs well with the tans/reds/golds of the model currently. You really have to carefully play with orange and yellow because they like to overpower one another. I blended this by building up little bits at a time by mixing in the airbrush pot. It helped to give a bit of the previous color into the next layer for a smooth transition. I focused on the weapon "cracks" as places that more power was leaking from than others, so clear direction was given. I gave it a final glaze of yellow to try and bring the overall color back into a more blended feeling.

Cloaks for the Chill: Part 1


I'm sure more of these pics will pop up in later posts, but for now, I really worked on giving the cloak a different red as opposed to the ones on the sled. It helped to have the airbrush with this, because brush blending was just not working! I used the same four colors here to make sure it tied back to the other reds on the model, but the shades were a bit off. I felt like it really gives a different feeling to him.

Santa's Sled: Part 2



After adding in the golds and touched up some reds, I added a final Strong Tone ink layer to give it all an antiqued look. It really draws the eye to the sled, but not garishly so like the original GW model. I added some additional detail work, but really it'll be finished when the weathering and snow effects are dropped in there. I'm proud of the information panels though, The one on the right is a radar sweep and the one on the left is a tactical read out. I gave them a bight green, feeling like a Fallout/monochrome screen to give it some technology feel. Loved working on that.

For now, that's all for this post! I'll be continuing to work on this and will be getting closer and closer to the model being completed. I have a few tournaments I am getting to over the summer and nearing the end, I have some new toys for my Eldar!
I still need to get a Getting Started box of Eldar to finish it off, but it'll pair nicely with my spirit host currently. 

Anyway, take care! Keep those brushes clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment