Monday, November 14, 2016

Warhammer 40k - How to strip paint off miniatures - for less then $20.00 bucks

Hey Mates!

Got a tutorial I wanna share on stripping down models, that you want to repaint.

Why, repaint models you ask?

Most repaint a model cause they dislike the way the model looks, in most cases you buy models from someone else and don't like the scheme.

In my case the models, I am stripping down in this thread are some of my earlier space marines. My skills have gotten considerable better and I feel is time to start reworking some old models that cost quiet a bit of money.





Your Tools!



You only need $20.00 to do this and you will have many uses out of the items you purchase. 

All of these items where purchased at Walmart

1. Super Cleaner $8.86
2. Gloves $1.96
3. Brush $1.76
4. Container $3.69
5. Towels " Free "
6. Tooth brush " Free " 
7. A mask 


The most important item in this list is the Super Clean, this stuff breaks down the paint on the model. It dissolves it off the model, living a clean beauty to be repainted. 

The gloves make sure to get ones that fit your hands and are comfortable. This cleaner will burn if it touches your bare skin, it mostly burn around the nails, open wounds etc. You don't want that! wear gloves! Also scrubbing is messy work and glove will keep your hands clean. 

The brushes go get a cheap rough brush, could even get some from a dollar store. I suggest a hand scrubber and a tooth brush. These both have proven to work the best and give best control when scrubbing.

The Container you want something that is sturdy and locks you don't want this stuff to tip and spill around. I got a deep container for that reason. The reason I bought one is so I can keep the solution in the container for future use. Super Clean is a multi use chemical for striping miniatures, no need to toss it and buy more. You just wasting money you can use to buy new miniatures if you just toss it out all the time. 

The Towels go get some junk towels! Don't! Don't use your wife's nice towels or she will kill you! You wanna live buy towels specifically for this endeavor. 

The mask I was in a well vented room, so I didn't wear one but I have several from other project over the years in my garage. I do however recommend one for your first time around, just in case. This stuff will make you cough if you inhale it.

Last thing is find a good location with plenty of work space. 


Find the models you want to strip paint from and prep them for soaking. You don't have to take the model apart for this to work. Since I put these models together, I knew how they where suposed to come apart, I knew the brand of glue and where the contact points where on the parts. So I felt very comfortable using a hobby knife and disconnecting the pieces. 

Be careful and patient on this part don't break any pieces. 




Here are a few close up shots of the paint, you can tell why I wanted to repaint these models. 
Lesson learned check the brand of primer and basecoat paint you use. Also don't paint in a -30 below garage...

The Setup

I laid towels down on my workbench, double layered so two standard drying towels.


I then put the container on the workspace and put the models inside. Add the solution I did about 2/3s filled. Then i put the lid on and moved the container so I would not be bumped as I finished a commission project.


You will see almost immediately little bubble rising from the models, as the chemical eats away the paint. Is pretty fun to watch the models paint dissolve.

I let the models soak about 15 mins before doing the first scrub.


The Rhino on the right is how it looked after just 15 minutes in the solution its already down to the black primer.



The one on the left is after scrubbing very clean still some build up left. 


The side armor panels on the top are after one soak as well, down to the primer with some base on still. The single panel on the bottom is after one soak. 

I suggest using a tooth brush for miniatures and a scrubby for vehicles. You can use both, I ended up breaking a sword on a marine sergeant usign the scubby cause i was to rough. If you worred about breaking the model. Use the tooth brush, if its pretty solid then just scrubby it to death.

Ever few strokes during the scrubbing process I would rinse the model and brush in the solution then continue. 

I let the models soak a second time, you can let it do that for another 15 minutes then soak again. I watched a movie and then came back.

There wasn't a whole lot left on the models after the 2nd scrub. Only thing that will be left is any super glue you used. 

You can do as many soaks as you want and let them sit for as long as you want. So is no rush to get to them once you put them in the solution itself. 


On these marines you can see some blue spots, that is superglue spots. When you glue already painted parts together the superglue takes on the color of the paint cause it lifts the paint up and blends with it a bit.

Models that I had glue before painting just had white spots, since there was no paint to blend into when the glue was applied. 

You can use a hobby knife to remove any other glue spots.

I hope this helps! Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment